Friday, March 8, 2013

6 month summary

It has been forever folks. Whoops.
I don't believe in the catch up thing and doing separate posts of all the things I didn't write about. I just don't have the time or patience for that.
So I will do a one post summary of our past 6 months so it is not all completely forgotten. It was a pretty crazy 6 months after all.

I was super pregnant and uncomfortable. Over it to the max. We moved out of our 1 bedroom apartment. Then we were homeless for 2 days. Then we moved into our 2 bedroom apartment. Hallelujah! No more babies in closets!
Miles was born on September 21st. My mom and sister played with Eloise while I was in the hospital. I was so grateful that Eloise was having fun with people she loves.  I was so sad and terrified to leave her. She was my baby. It feels weird talking about now that I know and am obsessed with Miles. But before he was here, I was so scared I was going to mess up the perfect thing me and Lulu had going on.

You know. Non-stop feedings, diaper changes, spit-up. Craig's mom came to visit for a week. I started ignoring doctors orders to take it easy because I can only do that for so long when I am the mother trying to take care of her home and family- So my incision came open while I was doing a Costco run (whoops). So then I spent 5 weeks or so packing my incision with gauze twice a day. (That means stuffing a long string of gauze into my incision with tweezers. Then pulling it out and doing it again to make sure it heals without getting infected) It was so not fun and I will need you all to remind me of this when I have my third. Because Im assuming "taking it easy" will be nearly impossible. My doctor was not amused that I chose to just stick a maxi pad over my C-section for a couple days before I decided to go in for an appointment. I mean... going to the doctor is just such a hassle sometimes.

In the midst of new babies and bleeding abdomen- there was a little thing called Hurricane Sandy. At first it was fun and exciting. At church that week, third hour was spent figuring out who lived in zone A and had to evacuate and who could house all of them. I volunteered to host some of my pregnant friends that all lived in the same building and all had to evacuate. We played and ate lots of food and were having a great time watching storm coverage (thank goodness I had gone to Costco after all) Well, it's all fun and games until the power goes out. So there we were on the 15th floor with no elevator, no cable, no cell service, no running water, no light. It was blackness. A few of us ventured down the flights of stairs to go look outside. It is so unsettling having no idea what is going on around you so we needed to check things out. When we got outside we were in for a rude awakening... the street behind me and our cross street were completely flooded. Flooded as in cars floating down the street. I was shocked. We started realizing that the power might be out longer than we expected. Anyway, this story could get long so- a couple days later my pregnant friends and me with my two kids hopped on a china town bus headed for Boston. Thank goodness. I was not physically or emotionally capable at that time to handle a week without running water or heat or light. I needed to get out of there.  I think I would have had a mental breakdown.

Anyway, we survived Sandy. And Halloween was just kind of skipped over... we dressed up for the ward party I guess. Thank goodness for that. Eloise was a cute little doctor. That is the ONLY thing she wanted to be. So random.

I stayed in Boston for as long as I could. I waited until Craig could get our car out of the garage and come pick us up. Also, my friends had to get back to, you know, have their babies.
Nate and Linley had planned a trip to visit before Sandy hit and thank goodness everything was back in working order when they got here! It was so fun to party with them.
Right when they left it was Thanksgiving. We had friends over to our place and had such a yummy and fun turkey day.

 I remember I had ordered a lot of stuff on Black Friday for Chrstmas gifts and also to decorate my apartment. I had been kind of ignoring our apartment because there hadn't really been time to decorate since we moved in... So Black Friday kind of got that rolling. I threw a "Favorite Things" party at my place. We had a Mexican Fiesta on Christmas Eve Eve. We had a low-key Christmas Eve with Shake Shack and picked up Levain Bakery cookies for Santa. Christmas morning was fun. Eloise loved all her presents. And Christmas night we had friends over for a yummy dinner. A couple days later we took off to Phoenix to see Craig's family for a week. Maya was blessed and sealed and it was great to be there for the special occasion.

A couple days after we got back from AZ I drove to Boston because Tanner and Heidi were taking a last minute trip there and I still had never met their 1 year old twin girls. So I had to go see them. Eloise had SO much fun playing with Oscar and Ollie.
January was full of baby showers. I threw one for my good friend Leah. What else happened in January? I can't think of anything.

We took off to California to visit my sister and to get some sunshine. My BFF Meagan drove down from San Jose. We went to Disneyland for day. We even went to the beach twice while we were there. Beach days in February- not fair. It was heavenly. It was nice to have nice weather and a backyard. Eloise had so much fun with her cousins. The time change was really rough but other than that the kids were great. Miles is basically the perfect baby- except he is gross and spits up non-stop. Hoping he grows out of that soon! He started rolling all over the place. He is seriously so cute and happy.

We just got back from a quick getaway to Boca Raton, Florida. Craig had to go for a work conference so we tagged along. JT and Lizzie had the same idea. (actually they had the idea first. we totally copied them) So Lizzie and I lounged by the pool with the kids all day while Craig and JT went to a super exciting insurance conference.  It was awesome.
And now I'm back to trying to entertain my kids inside because there is crazy snowing going on outside.

Im sure there is a lot that I left out- but this is better than nothing. The adjustment to 2 kids has been hard. But they are both good kids. Most of the time. we have moments every day that I want to go lock myself in my room. The apartment is usually a mess. And I usually look like a disaster. But other than that we are doing great and I feel like a quasi normal person again... I just need a little more Diet Coke than usual. :)


Lizzie said...

Um how did I not know about your incision?! That sounds terrible!!!

Meagan said...

I like you.

Rachel and Eric said...

Having two kids rocked my world and I wish someone would have told me that. Also, I didn't know the incision could really come open. Good to know. Great update.

Mary Martha said...

I'm so sorry about your incision. That sounds horrible. Your such a trooper. Love the recap. Blog more!

Alarie said...

what a crazy couple of months! I want to see some pictures of those cute kids!
we've moved to Connecticut, it'd be fun to get together sometime between all the busyness and we know no one out here! also, just came across a funny connection- Tyler and Rachel Jennings are moving into our ward in May... sounds like he was friends with Craig back at byu!

Halman Freud said...

Great pics and I am very happy. I keep my albums too with some android mobile apps that I have found, so I can post my pics on real time.

Halman Freud said...

Great pics and I am very happy. I keep my albums too with some android mobile apps that I have found, so I can post my pics on real time.